Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Austin & Jennie


























Austin: Jennie, would you still love me if I had erectile dysfunction?

Jennie: Yes. But you don’t have erectile dysfunction.

Austin: What? …how do you know?

Jennie: I went looking for you in the barn that rainy Saturday afternoon we had a couple of weeks ago, and I saw you and Nick.

Austin: You saw that?!

Jennie: Yes. I didn’t hide and watch until the show was over or anything, but I saw enough to know what was happening. I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure you’re alright down there.

Austin: You saw that?

Jennie: Yes, Austin, I saw that. I saw it. There’s nothing wrong with your dick, but if you keep asking the same stupid question over and over again, I’m going to wonder if there’s something wrong with your brain.

Austin: But… I…

Jennie: It’s okay, Austin. Really it is. I’ve suspected since we were about twelve. It’s cool with me. We’ve been best friends since we were in second grade. It’s okay if our parents go on thinking we’re a couple for a little while longer. We’ll tell them the truth when we’re college. There’s no one to date around here anyway. …well, except for Nick, and you’ve already bagged him, you shit.

Austin: I love you, Jennie. I mean… You know what I mean.

Jennie: I love you, too, Austin.

Photographer and subjects unknown.
Short fictional story by Gary Cottle

No comments:

Post a Comment