Monday, February 23, 2015

Gentle Souls

My novel, My High School Boyfriend, has a 4+ rating at Goodreads. The reviews here and at Amazon are mostly good, too. That’s great. I appreciate that. Of course, there are a couple who don’t like it. One reviewer at Amazon said that Glen was “drippy” and “whiny.” I’ll admit that stings a little, especially since Glen resembles me more than any of my other characters. However, I don’t think the person who wrote it understands the story. Calling Glen drippy and whiny is just another way of saying he’s soft and passive. In the very first chapter, Glen admits that he isn’t like other boys. He’s gay, and he also has a gentle spirit. He doesn’t want to be a fighter. And I think that’s okay even if most don’t. In one scene, Shannon tells Glen that it was brave to not allow the bullies to change him, and I think Shannon is right.

In the book, I describe something called “Rejects Row.” That’s where Glen spent his lunch periods before Shannon showed up. Rejects Row was real. It was the hallway in front of the office at my old high school. It was where the socially awkward kids and the misfits hung out when they weren’t in class. I spent some time on Rejects Row. It may very well still exist. I wouldn’t be at all surprised. I’m sure that teachers and administrators knew the kids who could be found there were having a hard time, but they were mostly ignored. Not much was ever done for them.

I think that’s because, according to conventional wisdom, there is something wrong with the kids on Rejects Row. It may be true that they need to learn some social skills, and they could probably benefit from a boost in self-confidence, but many seem to think that they need to buck up and become harder, tougher.

But what if the struggles of the kids on Rejects Row are an indication that the environment they inhabit is too harsh? What if there is simply too much bulling, harassment and ridicule? What if the threat of physical and sexual assault is too real? If a thug who is bigger and stronger grabs a young man in the restroom, shoves his face into his crotch and demands the kid suck his dick, do we really want that young person to think he’s on his own? Do we really want that young person to think he’s drippy and whiny if that situation scares the shit out of him? I guess some do. I guess many do. But I’m glad not everyone thinks like that. The positive feedback I’ve gotten for this story suggests to me that at least some believe Glen is worthy of love and a good life despite not being like other boys. I am grateful, and I hope the story manages to encourage a few gentle souls to remain true to their nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment