Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Spasm Under The Scourge

"There are those for whom virtue is the spasm under the scourge, and you have listened to their clamor too much.”

I first read this quote from Nietzsche many years ago, and it has always stuck with me. I think I remember it because I know this is advice I should take to heart. I have listened to the clamor of those who would make me feel unwelcome and ashamed, and I’m going to try to stop giving so much weight to the opinions of those who are hell bent on bringing me down. I’m not saying I’m perfect. I know I can be a jerk, and I will try to keep myself open to constructive criticism. But a great big raspberry to those who think I should like women instead of men, and those who think I should be more masculine, and those who think I’m not trying hard enough to make friends, and those who think I’m not deserving because I don’t take better care of myself and stay fit, and those who think it’s tacky or creepy or strange of me to openly admit I appreciate the beauty of younger, pretty, slim and not so masculine men. A raspberry to anyone who takes the attitude that they’re better than me. I should turn a deaf ear to the clamor of those people, and I should remember I have a perfectly good deaf ear. Maybe fate struck me deaf in one ear to remind me I should only listen to half of what people say.

No comments:

Post a Comment