Saturday, January 5, 2013

When I was growing up, I noticed that the people around me not only didn’t have answers for those tough questions about the Christian bible, but they refused to even consider them. They simply expected me to accept what they said without question. And the assumption was, if you didn’t believe in a fundamentalist concept of Christianity, you didn’t believe in anything.

But going along with it all
without questioning it seemed like annihilation to me, and it still does. It was like I, the real me, would disappear if I simply gave in. And I still resent what these fundamentalist Christians were trying to do to me, especially my family. I love them and miss them, however, I think they wanted me to go along with them not because they had such strong faith but because they weren’t really interested in who I was and wanted me to become a clone of themselves.

I also wonder if some of those fundamentalist Christians really believed what they were saying. I suspect many of them were going along to get along.

No comments:

Post a Comment