Monday, June 10, 2013

If life were perfect, sweet and kind, if the universe catered to my specific needs and desires, I would remember a warm summer evening right after I graduated from high school when a beautiful and tender young man came to visit me at my childhood home in West Virginia bearing a gift, a bouquet of wildflowers. He had been looking for crawdads with his daddy in a nearby creek which is why he is barefoot, and when he saw the flowers along the bank, he picked them for me. We sat outside on the porch in the swing holding hands until well after dark. Before he left, he invited me to go fishing with him, his daddy and his sister the next morning. He assured me that I didn’t have to touch the crawdads…or the fish if I were to catch any. Both of our families knew about us, and it was no more of an issue than the barking of tree frogs in the night.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment