Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Gore for President

Clinton was the first president I voted for. I was eligible to vote in 1984, but I was young and even though I followed the news and was probably more informed than the average teenager, I didn’t have great confidence in my opinions. Then... in 1988, I was much too sick to focus on politics much. So in 1992, I was finally ready to vote and I voted for Clinton. By 2000, I was suffering from Clinton fatigue. I felt burned by DADT and DOMA especially. I’m afraid that this effected my feelings for Gore, and I thought Gore was a rather odd man, too, emotionally distant and robotic. So I wasn’t all that enthusiastic about Gore, but I voted for him anyway. Now I wish I had devoted every waking moment following the primaries to campaigning for him. That probably wouldn’t have made a dime’s worth of difference, but golly, the next eight years amounted to a presidential train wreck.

No comments:

Post a Comment