Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"Decent" People

They do try to make you think they are the "normal" ones and the "decent" ones. And they would have you believe that you need to explain yourself to them to their satisfaction.

A couple of years ago, someone I had known sense 7th grade wrote me a private message telling me about her trip to Key West. She complained about the way the gay people there acted, not bothering to hide who they are. She complained about the gay bars with go-go boys dancing on the tables. And she said gay people have an "image problem" and that they present themselves in a way that "decent" people (meaning people like her) don't like.

It really pissed me off because she thought she had a right to talk to me in this way. I thought I was one of her oldest friends, someone she admired and respected, but apparently she thought that because I'm gay, I need to meet with her approval.

She had to go all the way to Key West, Florida, to find a gay bar with go-go boys, but back home in WV, there is a straight strip club fifteen minutes from her house. And I know some other things I won’t mention here. Let’s just say she is hardly a saint, but she would have me believe that she is one of the "decent" people that those like me need to answer to.

We are no longer friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment