Sunday, December 23, 2012

Are LGBT Lives Worth Fighting For?

It's funny how it's okay for young people to join the military to defend their country, it's okay for home owners to defend against invasion, it's okay for parents to defend their children, but if you say you’re prepared to use deadly force if necessary to defend an LGBT person--or that you hope you’re prepared, or hope someone is prepared if necessary--you're some kind of crazy, dangerous radical.... Even many LGBT people think this way. Rather than indicating how peace loving LGBT are, I suspect this attitude indicates that many of us buy into the idea that our lives just aren’t worth defending and that those who attack us--even though we think they’re wrong and unjust--are somehow still more important than we are.

If it comes down to me or someone from my tribe and a homophobe, I'm going to go with me and my tribe. Or at least I hope I would. If I don't, then that probably means I got clipped before I had a chance to react or in that instance I proved to be a coward. Having been a coward in many ways a number of times over the years, I know that cowardice isn't noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment