Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Hypocrisy of the Self-Righteous

I remember this hideous asshole coming into our house via the television when I was a teenager. He was an arrogant, self-righteous thug who pretended he was the most morally upstanding person to ever to walk the planet. He often went after LGBTs. I can vividly recollect him hissing the word “homosexsheeals” with the utmost hostility and disgust.

I suppose I would have done my best to ignore him as just another creep in the world if it weren’t for the fact my parents paid attention to him and seemed to hold him in high esteem. There admiration made his condemnation seem all the more palpable and threatening to me. I felt frightened and cornered when he was on the television in the living room in our little house. My skin was cold and clammy. I was flooded with a sense of dread, and I half expected him to point to me and proclaim I was one these detestable “homosexsheeals.”

When it was discovered that he had been with a prostitute in the late 1980s, he refused to talk about it, and after a couple of months, he returned to his TV broadcast and tearfully proclaimed, "I have sinned against You, my Lord, and I would ask that Your Precious Blood would wash and cleanse every stain until it is in the seas of God's forgetfulness, not to be remembered against me anymore."

When he was caught with a prostitute again in the early ‘90s, he once again refused to talk about it. He said, "The Lord told me it's flat none of your business."

Funny how he has a perfect right to judge the hell out of everyone else, but what he does is none of our business.

The Duggars’ hypocrisy reminded me of Swaggart’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment