Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Live Your Dreams While You Can

I regret the things I haven’t done much more than the things I have done. When I was a kid, I listened to the negative opinions of people who didn’t matter. I truncated my dreams and let so much of my life slip by in a foolish attempt to avoid disapproval. I bought into the lie that I would hurt others just by being me.

It’s true that it’s not too late. We can slough off those condemning voices and follow our hearts at any time. Each day that we’re alive and well we have it in us to fight for our freedom. I can be free, but I can no longer be young and free. I can no longer pursue my dreams with the enthusiasm, energy and boundless hope that accompanies youth. I tire much more easily now, and I’m much more aware of how short life is. Twenty years ago I could have walked across this country. I could have sat up half the night drinking and getting to know a boy I had just met, and then made love with him until the break of dawn. I could have moved to a new city every six months, lived in squalid apartments with other young people, and danced even though I don’t have rhythm and sang even though I can’t carry a tune. I could have spent my summers backpacking in the woods, sleeping on the ground, bathing in mountain streams. I could have done so much. But now my ability to endure physical discomfort, pain and exhaustion has been greatly diminished.

All of you young people out there, live your dreams while you can. Don’t listen to those who tell you that you can’t or shouldn’t. You know when someone is trying to limit you for their own sake rather than yours. You know. So don’t listen to them. Go where you need to go. Do what you need to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment