Monday, August 13, 2012

Ryan pick is bad news for LGBT Americans

In regards to the joy some Obama supporters are expressing because Romney picked Ryan… I understand that Romney showed some amount of desperation when he picked Ryan. Ryan fires up the base, and Romney should already have his base on his side. I understand that Ryan does little to convince moderates and independents to vote for Romney. I understand that Ryan may actually repel some voters who may have otherwise considered Romney. But Romney is anti-LGBT, and now he’s going to have a running mate who is anti-LGBT. The Republicans think it’s okay to get behind extreme homophobia.

I’m a liberal, and of course I want the guy who I agree with most about political issues to win. But I’m gay, too, and that’s not just about politics. That’s who I am. I can deal with someone who disagrees with me about healthcare and the budget. But for someone to say they don’t think people like me should be able to adopt children… That’s an attack on me as a person. If one of the two major political parties happily gets behind someone who attacks people like me, then that’s really bad news for people like me, even if they lose. And they may not lose. Let’s not forget that. The homophobes may win.

No comments:

Post a Comment