Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A work in progress.

I’m in the process of outlining a novel I want to write next year set in a house like this, except I imagine the old place as more dilapidated. It’s about two boys in their last year in high school. They fall in love, and this house which belongs to the mother of one of the boys--she travels a lot, so they usually have the place to themselves--becomes their sanctuary. It takes place in mid 1980s West Virginia, and since the world around them won’t allow them to be open about their feelings for one another, they create their own world. They have their own prom on the porch. They are still together, and they have since inherited the house and turned it into a B&B. I first wanted to write this story back when I was in high school, but I just couldn’t make a go of it back then, and that’s because I didn’t have a boyfriend, didn’t know any gay couples, didn’t see any gay couples on TV. I couldn’t imagine the details or figure out how my characters would maintain a relationship in such a hostile environment. So I think it’s time for me to write that story. And even though things have changed, I don’t think there’s nearly enough simple, romantic boy meets boy stories out there, especially ones with a happily ever after ending.
 
Photographer and subjects unknown.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment