Saturday, August 16, 2014

A few words on depression.

There might be antecedents or precipitating factors, but depression is a thing in and of itself. I have suffered from clinical depression off on and for decades. I have been hospitalized for it several times. I’ve taken a number of medications for it. I have received electroshock therapy for it. Childhood experiences probably did change my brain chemistry in a way that made it more likely that I would be susceptible to depression. My ongoing PTSD and social phobia and isolation causes stress that probably doesn’t help. But these factors don’t explain why I’m okay some days, and other days I just can’t stand it anymore. Nothing has changed all that much externally from one day to the next, but what it feels like for me inside my head does change.

People will sometimes ask, “Why are you depressed?” or “What do you have to be depressed about?” This implies that there is or should be a specific reason for the change in mood, and there often isn’t one. Sometimes someone will become depressed after being diagnosed with a disease, or after getting a divorce or after losing a child. People will then say that depression in those circumstances is understandable, and of course it is. But sometimes depression can hit you when you’re not expecting it, when it’s not so easily explained. And I think we should work at discussing this issue in a way that makes it clear to those who are depressed that they don’t need a reason or an excuse.

It’s not a personal failing on the part of the person who is depressed if they don’t have some kind of sob story to tell that will immediately play on the sympathy of those who hear it. The depressed person is in a lot of pain, and the depression alone should be cause enough for concern.

2 comments:

  1. So well said. I too have been dealing with depression most of my life. People need to realize that it is an illness - a very real illness.I do a much better job in coping with depression than I used to, but it is still a struggle.It is unfortunate that it takes a tragedy like the loss of Robin Williams to create a much needed conversation about depression. May the positive conversations about depression that are currently taking place be a part of his wonderful legacy.

    ReplyDelete