Thursday, July 28, 2016

Together

Hillary Clinton might not be as good at speechifying as Obama or her husband, and she might not be as good at speaking from her heart as Michelle or some of the parents who lost their children to violence, but she admits it. She understands that even though she’s been in the spotlight for nearly 25 years, many still don’t feel like they know her. She’s guarded. That’s something I can relate to. Opening up to strangers is not something that comes naturally to me, and even though I like words and like toying with words and telling stories, the mere idea of standing up and delivering those words to millions terrifies me.

I liked the overall theme of the convention: togetherness. When I was growing up, I felt alone and scared. Really alone and scared. I didn’t feel I could trust anyone, tell anyone my fears or concerns, rely on anyone. I thought I might even be in danger if I let anyone know who I really was. I know what it’s like to have a profound sense of being on your own. It’s a feeling I’ve not been able to shake after all of these years. It still haunts me. It’s still a feeling I have to challenge and fight against every day to keep it from completely paralyzing me. So I appreciate the unity message. We are in this together, and no one can make it on their own. Dividing people only creates more fear and paranoia. In a society where only the privileged are treated with respect, you can never feel safe even if you’re part of the in group, because you might be kicked out of the club tomorrow. I liked what the minister said about how we need to shock the heart of this country with the power of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment