Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I think religions are human institutions that reflect the cultures in which they were founded.

I think religions are human institutions that reflect the cultures in which they were founded. They may in some way represent the authentic spiritual experiences of its members, but I don’t think they’re an unalloyed expression of anything divine.

I think that if there is a god, that god would transcend our reality, having created it. All of this talk about what a particular god “wants” or “thinks” is anthropomorphic. If someone speaks metaphorically in those terms, I might relate to what’s being said, but if the person saying those kinds of things means them literally, then I find the comments unfathomable.

As Annie Dillard said, “Whatever we say about God is untrue, for we can only know creaturely attributes, which do not apply to God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment