Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Will I ever be an artist?

"Will I ever be an artist? Not a mere dabbler or dilettante. Not just someone who picks up a brush now and then and produces something derivative and forgettable. Will I create something that stands out, something that distinguishes me from all the rest? Something that will make them remember me? Or will I be an art student my whole life? Is that enough? Do I have to make a mark? Can’t I just appreciate what others have done? Is it pride that makes us think we have to accomplish something, something important? What if I simply observed and took it all in…with the aim of getting through it without doing much harm? Maybe someday a thunderbolt of inspiration will hit me and I won’t be able to resist making a splash. But can I really force it? Can’t I be significant without being great?"


Photographer and subject unknown
Little fictional story by Gary Cottle

No comments:

Post a Comment