Saturday, December 5, 2015

Robert Sean Leonard as Neil Perry, Dead Poets Society (1989)

I was 23 when this movie was released. It doesn't seem that long ago. Probably because the memory of it is so fresh and vivid in my mind. I was blown away by the movie. Of course, all the cute young men had me drooling, and as someone who was withdrawn and painfully shy, I immediately identified with Todd, Ethan Hawk's character. I loved the way Neil was able to look past Todd's standoffish demeanor. Neil had a kind heart, and he was much more socially adept. He knew Todd was scared, and he wasn't going to let Todd push him away. I loved Neil for that, and I wanted someone like Neil to rescue me from my loneliness. I was also able to see a spark of romance and attraction between the boys. That might not have actually been there, but I wanted the boys to be in love, so that's what I saw. Todd was obviously the one who appeared to be the most vulnerable, so what happened to Neil came as a huge shock.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment