Sunday, March 1, 2015

This evening, I watched The Ice Storm on Netflix...

The Ice Storm Trailer

This was probably my forth or fifth viewing, but it’s been well over ten years since I’ve seen it. I’m drawn to the characters and perplexed by them at the same time. It’s about two upper middle class families. They are neighbors and friends, and their teenage children are classmates. They lead comfortable lives, but there is something that impedes their intimacy. There is a certain amount of ice in their relationships, which, I suppose, accounts for the film’s title. We’ve seen a number of affluent families like this in American films, but I think this film holds up to the competition. I would put it in the same class as Mr. & Mrs. Bridge and Revolutionary Road.

Although these films are blown up into drama, there is something very believable and honest about them. They seem to reflect real life pretty well. And that leads me to wonder if human beings are really emotionally capable of handling material success. Is there something about being safe that causes us to turn inward and to become brooding and, on some level, contemptuous of life?

I’ve always envied people like this. They are not super rich, and they’re not celebrities. They are merely well off. They’re generally well educated. They live in nice homes, not mansions. They can afford to eat well every day. They wear nice clothes. They travel fairly regularly. And even though there is the chance they might lose some amount of status and wealth, they’re not in any real danger of going without. At worst, they might have to move to a smaller house or eat out less often if someone in the family is demoted or loses their job.

I think I could handle material success a lot better than these people. I spend a lot of time worrying about paying for basic needs. I even worry about becoming homeless. If I had the means, I would move. It would be nice to have that luxury, and I am sure I would not become a restless wanderer drifting from place to place. I would find a home that suits me, and settle in.

I would also travel more, and it would be great if I could afford to take a friend along with me. Traveling alone makes me so anxious that it almost ruins the experience for me. And the thought of being alone and broke in a strange city or a foreign country scares the crap out of me. People with a little money don’t have to plan their trips down to the last penny. If they can’t make their afternoon flight, they can switch to another flight. Not such a big deal if they have to pay a couple of hundred extra dollars. They can afford a hotel room if their flight is diverted or of their connecting flight is canceled. They don’t have to worry about dragging luggage on unfamiliar public transportation when they arrive in a strange city. They can simply hire a taxi and tell the driver where they want to go. I would appreciate being able to travel this way now and then, and I would never take it for granted. I would thank my lucky stars.

I would also use the money to socialize more. It would be so nice to be able to visit friends and not expect them to feed or house me. It would be nice go out to eat and pick up the tab or at least pay my own way. As things stand now, I often can’t even afford to go to a fast food restaurant or go see a movie.

I’m sure I would be a lot happier if I could afford to live as these sour people do in movies like The Ice Storm. I’m sure of it. I know it wouldn’t solve all my problems. I’d still have PTSD and extreme social phobia, but the money and the safety that comes with money would help. And maybe I could appreciate it more because I know what it’s like to be poor enough to be scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment