Saturday, February 16, 2013

I'm Gay

I’m gay. I’m not confused about this. I really am attracted to men, and women not so much. My parents were pretty nutty, but a lot of parents are nutty to some extent. My father’s masculinity didn’t frighten or intimidate me, and my mother didn’t give me baths when I was in high school. I was never sexually molested when I was a kid. Never had any drug or alcohol problems. Never engaged in sex compulsively or excessively.

Can I tell you why I’m gay? No. But I don’t think my feelings need to be explained. They are what they are. However, some think that people like me need to justify ourselves. These people are generally assholes in my opinion.

Any time I hear these “ex-gay” and NARTH people or Christianists go down their list of unscientific and unproven “reasons” why people like me exist and why our “lifestyle” is so bad, it’s like I’m listening to someone from another planet. They deliberately distort, exaggerate and make things up.

They’re trying to make people like me feel ashamed. And they’re trying to make straight people afraid of those like me. I will not lend any credence to the idea that they simply believe one thing, and I believe something else. They are liars and con artists and lunatics out to do harm to people like me, including young people who are still dependent on their families.

Religious liberty is guaranteed by the Constitution, and I respect that. I think people should be allowed to believe what they want, and profess their beliefs, and to worship as they see fit. But that doesn’t mean I respect every religious belief going. If you believe that people like me are sinners, or if you believe people like me deserve punishment, or death, or eternity in hell, then I think your religion is shit. I don’t say that just to be profane. I mean that I think your religion is excremental, something foul and disgusting, something that poses a threat to health and wellbeing, something that should be flushed away.

If I seem intolerant and unyielding, just remember that it is you who decided to stand in judgment of me. I don’t claim anyone should go to hell. I don’t claim anyone has to follow my rules or believe what I believe before they are worthy of the love of any god.

No comments:

Post a Comment