Sunday, April 5, 2015

I watched The Imitation Game this afternoon...

I watched The Imitation Game this afternoon. It was wonderful and heartbreaking. One of the most poignant scenes for me was when young Alan was told that his special friend had died. You could tell that he was profoundly devastated, but at the same time, he was determined not to allow the headmaster know of the depths of his feelings for his friend or how his world had just been destroyed. He couldn’t let anyone know how he felt. He had learned not to trust others with his feelings. Even though the headmaster was sympathetic in that instance, you could hardly claim that Alan was being paranoid given how he died less than 25 years later.

I strongly related to young Alan in that scene, and it brought back the memory of when I was that age and guarding a secret all by myself, trusting no one because I feared for my life.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, was deeply moved by that scene. I cried, because I know precisely how he felt--devastated, but unable to reveal his utter devastation, in order to preserve his own life. A closet is a deep, dark place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Davey, it is a dark and lonely place.

      Delete