Friday, April 10, 2015

Some cried for their mothers.

It must have been about twenty years ago when I watched an interview of historian Stephen Ambrose about the 50th anniversary of D Day. He talked about how the soldiers were unprotected and out in the open when they landed on the beach. He talked about how many of the soldiers were still teenagers and how many of them had never been away from home before. He talked about how bloody it was. Multiple injuries and deaths, especially among the first waves. Boys lost hands, arms and legs and stood there staring down at their lost body parts in shock. Some were fatally wounded but didn’t die immediately. They sat there crying for help. Some cried for their mothers. I was so moved by the interview, I told my mother about it. I made her cry. Remembering that conversation now makes me cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment