Sunday, June 10, 2012

Handyman


88-year-old Mrs. Pennington allowed him to park his camper in her backyard. She told everyone that he helped her with her chores and that he was very handy to have around. Not many approved. People said he was a drifter and that he wasn’t to be trusted. But the summer after graduation, I found the nerve to go over and introduce myself. He offered me a glass of wine and read me some of his poetry. I was shocked when most of it turned out to be about men together. I was expecting him to be coy. I thought we’d have to dance around the obvious for a while. But he got right to the point.

I got home late, and when Dad asked me where I had been, I told him I was looking at the stars. I think he knew what I really meant. After a long pause, he said, “Nice night for it, I guess. Are you okay?” I smiled and answered, “I’m fine.”


Photographer and model unknown
Little story by Gary Cottle

No comments:

Post a Comment