Saturday, June 2, 2012

Proud of Pride!

Ah, it's Pride Month, so there'll be Pride Parades popping up all over the place. Of course many will characterize them as flamboyant displays of flagrant sexuality and gross departures from normality. And there will be those who complain. They'll say we should put on our Sunday best and show those who fear us, condemn us and preach against us how ordinary we are.

But I'm tired of the argume
nt that LGBT people need to stop doing certain things because Christianists will make something of it. I don't want to restrict my life in that way, and I'm not going to ask others to restrict their lives because of what some ignorant, hateful, bigoted lowlife has to say about it. Never once has a straight person called me up and asked me if I would think less of them as a straight person if they did a certain thing, so I'll be damned if I give anyone that kind of power over my life.

The haters are going to hate, and kissing up to them will only embolden them. Reasonable people will see the Pride Parades for what they are, a celebration that some LGBT engage in while others don't. They know TV cameras show the flashiest aspects of the parades and the people who participate don't always dress or act like that any more than the wild women you see at Mardi Gras generally go around flashing their breasts for beads.

Life is not a PR event. You're either who you are, or you're not. And if you're someone who likes to strip down to your underpants from time to time, cover your body in glitter and dance down the street, then so be it. More power to you. Enjoy your life. It's yours, not mine. And if that makes you happy, then I'm glad you found something that makes you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment